Irena Zhang is the owner and curator of Zi Gallery. With a passion for the arts, she has curated a variety of multicultural and community focused art exhibitions, internationally acclaimed dance and theatre performances:
- Jenny Zhan & Bian Jing art exhibition of “Buddha (One Who Has Thus Arrived As He Thus Left) & Lust in Human World”
- Red Poppy, the Yalong Tibetan Song and Dance Troupe
- Guiyang Acrobatic Troupe
Recent highlights include:
- Filming in South Australia of a documentary to be screened in China with Chinese actress Lilly Ji during Qingdao International Fashion week. The documentary will to showcase Adelaide and South Australia to Asia as one of the most creative, innovative and industrious places in Australia.
- Sponsor of the Adelaide Qingdao Sister City Gala Banquet Celebration held in Qingdao, August 2014
- Director of Lunar New Year 2013/2014 Street Party in Chinatown Adelaide
Art Community Support
The Zhang family’s support of the arts continues with Irena generously gifting $10,000 to the 2nd Royal South Australian Society Biennial Portrait Prize. Three independent judges have been appointed and they will work with Irena’s father, Victor Zhang in the selection of the 1st Prize of $10,000. The Portrait Prize will be judged by a panel that includes her father well known international artist Victor Zhang, Chris Orchard,Deidre ,Butt-Husaim and Gloria Strzelecki. Victor was a member of the RSASA and she has followed in his footsteps showing a keen interest in the Arts, in Australia and Asia.
Irena is known to be a “catalyst” for fundraising activities and events for wider causes outside our local community that have included the Sichuan Earthquake Appeal, the Guangdong Flood Victims Appeal, The Premiers Olympic Games Appeal and the South East Asian Tsunami Appeal.
Irena has overseen a re-invigoration of the Chinatown district in Adelaide, spearheading a revamped Lunar New Year Event in February 2013 and 2014 that saw Gouger Street join with Moonta Street.